What the role of a doula?
Carriage House Birth defines a doula as “a professional who supports people through major life changes”. The word doula is derived from the Greek word δούλα, meaning “a woman who serves”. As a doula, I am trained to provide emotional, physical, spiritual, and/or educational support to you and your partner during the perinatal and birthing process. I am responsible for your emotional comfort and care, and here to support you by highlighting choices, providing education, and being a “beacon of calm for the family through the process at large” (CHB).
Postpartum doulas are trained to offer continued support for both parents and child after birth. This may include lactation support, nutritional information, overnight support if requested, light cleaning, and more. Doulas also offer support around loss, miscarriage, and abortion.
- Complimentary Meet and Greet
- Three Prenatal Meetings — We will discuss your birth preferences and I will answer any questions you may have or offer you a referral.
- Attendance and Support During the Birth
- One Postpartum Visit
* Pricing is offered on a sliding scale.
Why use a birth doula?
The process of giving birth extends far beyond the physical. It is an emotional and transformative moment of a parents-to-be’s life. The role of a birth doula is to offer support during this time, prioritizing the emotional needs of the pregnant person, “mothering the mother”, and offering continuous labor support for the family.
A 2012 report published by the NIH, which analyzed over 15,000 births, found that persons with continuous labor support:
- are more likely to have a spontaneous vaginal birth
- are less likely to have intrapartum analgesia
- are less likely to report dissatisfaction
- are more likely to have a have shorter labor
- are less likely to have a caesarean
- are less likely to have an instrumental vaginal birth
- are less likely to have regional analgesia
- are less likely to have a baby with a low five-minute Apgar score
Let’s Meet for a Coffee
@mollyshephard is a NYC-based doula, offering holistic and spiritual support during the prenatal & birthing experience.
*sliding scale rates available