Grams & Percentages
- 500 g flour (260 g bread, 200 g WW, 50 g spelt)
- 390 g water (78% hydration)
- 110 g levain (22% inoculation)
- 10 g salt (2%)
- 12:50 pm — fed starter
- 4:00 pm — start autolyse
- 5:45 pm — add levain (1:45h autolyse + 4:55h starter)
- 6:15 pm — add salt
- 7:30 pm — bowl fold #1
- 8:40 pm — bowl fold #2
- 9:40 pm — pre-shaping
- 10:00 pm — shape loaf, roll in Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel Seasoning and place in banneton for 48h retard
- preheat oven 450°
- bake, lid on 45m
- remove loaf from cast iron,allow to rest for 4h
- Tried a new technique of rolling in seeds/seasoning. Used what we already had on hand and am pretty happy with how that turned out. In the future I’m thinking poppy seeds…
- Was slightly over-proofed and could have been shaped about 30m earlier than it was.
- Darkest loaf I’ve made so far which definitely helped the flavor development.
- The overall structure of was strong and even with a complete compress bounced back to its original shape.
- The loaf itself was tender, with a nice chew, and [with the addition of seasoning] was perfect for dipping in olive oil or making fancy grilled cheeses (two things we definitely did).